- Twice as many adults in the U.S. are physically inactive than smoke cigarettes.
- Approximately 35% of coronary artery disease deaths are due to physical inactivity.
- $117 billion in health care costs are associated with inadequate physical activity.
So how much exercise am I supposed to do ???
- 150 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity a week PLUS 2 days of strength training are needed to maintain health and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
- 150-200 minutes per week of moderated physical activity is needed to prevent weight gain.
- 225-420 minutes per week are needed for long term weight control.
Health Benefits of physical activity on Obesity:
- Weight loss / maintenance
- Improves body composition and prevents muscle loss during weight loss
Health Benefits of Regular Exercise:
- Arthritis: increases strength, range of motion, physical function, decreases disability, pain and stiffness
- Decreases blood pressure
- Exercise may be as effective as antidepressant medication and can reduce depressive symptoms by 30-50 percent.
- Cancer patients who participate in regular physical activity had a 37% lower risk of dying from cancer compared to those who did not exercise.
So the benefits of regular physical activity are far reaching and complex. Talk to your healthcare professional before starting any type of physical activity to make sure you are healthy enough for exercise.
Stay healthy my friends!
visit my site www.WellnessMike.com for your science based supplements.